Thursday, February 3, 2011

Art makes me happy

I feel like I should be blogging, so that's what I'm doing.


In Art class we're doing observational drawings of trees in the wetlands off our school. It's making me very happy. I sit on my own on a bench near my tree and I just draw it and the surrounding area for the whole class. It's very relaxing, even if it is 32 degrees celsius and like 80% humidity. It is ridiculously hot here, you guys. I'm dying.

Back to art. Tip for overly stressed people, find a tree with not so many leaves and draw it, leaves frustrate me. Even if you're bad at drawing, as my art teacher says "Tell the left side of your brain to shut up." i.e. Draw on the right side of your brain, this can be achieved by:

-Not talking, this brings you back to the left side
-Notice the shape of the tree, not what it should look like, draw what you see, not what should be there
-Give yourself a lot of time to draw it
-No distractions

Tips for general drawing and also things I like to do whilst drawing:
-Use one colour of pencil and use tone to make your work more three dimensional
-Add shadows to make it more three dimensional
-Draw things late at night or when you're tired - I find that's when I'm my most creative. I'm writing this blog post right before I plan on going to bed!
-If you decide to use colours, use crazy bright ones and make all the trees purple. I like purple.
-Draw all the textures you can see
-Nice water colours make me extremely happy

**DRAW A ROBOT**
Automatic way to relieve stress. Or possibly increase it when you realise that the legs are very hard to draw 3D and that the neck has to go after you're drawn the head and body.

Robots are my comfort draw.

I’ll draw a robot and post in sometime soon-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment