Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Packing list for the paranoid: Rome (Summer)

My family and I are venturing once more to Rome in June this year and I'm quite excited. Now that I've been there before at this specific time, I further know the kinds of things that I need to bring, so I thought I'd share them with you and any travelers that stumble upon my blog.


Some general info first:
It's really hot in Rome during June, like really, really hot. The traffic is crazy, terrifying when you're a pedestrian trying to cross the street. What's most terrifying is the scooters, they don't stop for you like cars do at crossings, they just swerve around you. I don't like putting my life into someone else's hands. So when crossing the road, be aware that cars won't stop if you wait patiently at the start of the crossing, you have to venture into traffic in order to actually cross. I combat this by walking until I find a smaller street that has less traffic, or just stay on one side of the road for the entire trip. It's pretty easy to get by without knowing Italian, a small amount is needed obviously, but you can get by with pointing and gesturing.

Tips for ladies:
Rome isn't a very safe place for ladies, I wouldn't advise walking around on your own. Watch out for fake taxis, they're a bit of a worry. In general, the men creeped me out, very leery. So be aware that it might not be as safe as what you're used to.


Onwards with the packing list:

- Bring lightweight clothes, it's not only hot, it's also really freaking humid
- Lighter moisturisers are needed for the above reason also
- It's very difficult to walk in heels on cobblestone paths, there are many of these in Rome, be aware of this
- You will not need jeans or any type of pant, this is skirts/dresses and shorts only weather
- You can buy cashmere and fancy jumpers relatively cheap there, so if you feel the need to bring a jumper, know that you can buy a lovely one when you arrive, if you even need it
- Walking shoes are a must. Not necessarily heavy duty running shoes (aimed at ladies here, but men shouldn't wear running shoes unless they're running either), flats or canvas tennis shoes do fine
- A way to put your hair up off your neck because it's too hot for hair on neck action
- Sunglasses and a hat! Need I say more? Although there are also some really cool hat shops in Rome too

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment