Thursday, May 24, 2012

Self-esteem: hating something you can't change

I think I have pretty good self-esteem. I work out quite a lot which releases endorphins and also makes me feel good about looking after myself. I take good care of my hair and skin, take vitamins and shit, use high quality, natural products. And I don't allow myself to hate something about myself that can't be changed. Sure, it'd be nice if my thighs were smaller and my ass wasn't so booty-licious, but those are things I can change through exercising and healthy eating. I don't hate my nose because it's bigger than most, or wish my hair was curlier/straighter naturally, because that doesn't help anything.

Constantly comparing yourself to other people and wishing unchangeable things about yourself were different is so unhelpful. You can't change those things without extreme surgery, you'll have them for the rest of your life, so why keep on putting yourself down?

Whenever I look in the mirror and think "I wish my nose was smaller" or see someone with a cute little nose and compare myself to them, I stop myself and think "Well this is what you're stuck with, so better make the most of it, besides, look at all your other nice features."

And the thing with weight loss and all that is that even if you lose all the weight that you want, you'll still continue feeling bad about yourself, looking good to other people and feeling good about yourself are two different things. Every time you look in the mirror think "Damn, I'm fine!" rather than, "Just 5 more kilos."

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment