Saturday, August 20, 2011

Insomnia AKA panicky paranoid crazy bitch disorder

Being an insomniac sucks balls! I get tired, I put on my pajamas, I get myself all cocooned in my blankets and then I just lie there with my eyes close for hours, my brain for some reason unable to switch off.

It's making me act like a crazy person, my few and far between bursts of energy come from lush visits or thoughts of going to lush soon, but one can only go to Lush so many times in one week without seeming like an escapee from an insane asylum and not being allowed into the store anymore. (I have been three times this week)

Sounds about right.

I think one of my friends is mad at me, but I don't know if I've done something horrible without realizing or it's actually my crazy sleep deprived paranoia dictating my thoughts. Or maybe she's cranky for other reasons as it is unlikely that her world revolves around me.

So here are some tips for insomniacs that have somewhat worked for me or haven't, but I suspect that that's because of me and my insanity and shouldn't affect you.

1. Deep breathing, I only realised this after I had read about it, but I breathe really quickly and shallowly when I'm attempting sleep and that makes shit a lot worse.

2. Try to imagine a dream or think about something that you would like to dream about

3. Stop going over things in your head on repeat a million times. Yes, brain, I acted like a complete idiot today in english, but I don't think that replaying it over and over again will help me to fix it.

4. Listen to some calming music, and I'm not talking waves or rain soundtracks (unless that works for you, then go straight ahead), more so Angus and Julia Stone loveliness, or whatever your favorite acousticy band is.

Good God my eyes are tired (I'm typing this on my phone in complete darkness in bed as I cannot sleep), my thumbs hurt too.

5. Stop encouraging your thoughts, let them float in and out of your head, drifting past your mind with minimal input.

6. Imagine your bed (or whatever you sleep on) is floating in the ocean, imagine the sounds and feeling of bobbing up and down, slowly turning and bobbing off into various directions.

Another one is imagining yourself (or your bed) flying, this also works with the imagine a dream thing and the calmness of floating through the ocean idea.

These points are based on many hours of research and personal experience (though it may not seem like it). Hopefully this has helped an insomniac somewhere.

Sweet dreams, lovelies, I'm off to stare at the back of my eyelids for a while.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment